Friday 16 October 2009

Charity Update

Hello,

Yesterday was, indeed, an emotional visit. Last night in bed, my elder daughter, who came along with me, told the story to her little sister: "...and we bought them an elevator! And now the teachers don't have to carry the kids up the stairs anymore!" Don't you love that "we?" Seeing me do this work, day in day out, she feels part of the whole process.

Each of the visits Regina and I have been on has been a very special event.

Today I had two women here from the home for disabled adults in Ukmerge to collect donated clothing. When we visited them, before summer, they welcomed us with a humongous and delicious homemade cake (which they promised to teach us to make on our next visit). They also had a banquet waiting for us for our lunch. These are the simplest of women -- and yet not only are they doing the hard work of this world, they are an example of true kindness and hospitality. Today they showed up with a bottle of sparkling wine and a package of coffee.

I spent the morning sorting through clothing. I have quite a bit left that will be suitable for the young teachers at the Aidas school. The women from Ukmerge took the rest -- as well as all the children's and babies' stuff that had been hanging around in my garage for months.

I can always use more clothing, especially winter coats and boots.

Please remember to bring along a tea mug if you are attending the Monthly Social on Monday evening. If not, you can always find a way to give one to me. I thought about using a scrapbooking or permanent pen to write on them the words "We care about you" in Lithuanian. I'm sure plenty of women need to hear that from someone. If someone would kindly translate that for me, I'd be obliged.

In other news, I am forming a committee to help out with the IWAV/Prisma Food Drive, which will take place at the new Prisma supermarket on January 17-18 2010, tentatively. I have two volunteers so far. We will have our first meeting soon after the Christmas Bazaar. We'll need to discuss transportation, publicity, recipients, possible sponsors besides Prisma, and whether or not we want to work with a larger Food Bank who can better coordinate transportation and distribution.

I believe that's all from your friendly, neighborhood IWAV Charity Coordinator.
Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment