Friday 4 December 2009

Help the Animals?

Dear Ladies,

Several weeks my eldest came to me and said, "Find me a shelter where I can volunteer!"  So I did.

I Googled around and found a wonderful website created by a local shelter, SOS Gyvunai.   The site is beautifully translated into English by a volunteer.  There one can find information about animals available for adoption.  But the best part is the blog, again in English, where one can get news about the shelter and the things they need (food, litter, blankets, medicine, etc.).

We asked if Iris could help out but she needs to be 16 years old to do so.  So Iris and I went out and bought food and blankets for the animals since they were needing clean ones after an outbreak of infectious disease.

Finally, a few weeks ago, after many months of dog-or-cat and where-will-we-keep-him-or-her-while-we're-gone hand-wringing, I decided to adopt a cat for Iris from a local shelter.    We ended up at Lese on Filaretu g. in Uzupis.  We showed up without calling first, so there was no one there -- except the cats sitting on the window ledge.  My eyes fixed immediately on a calico with yellow eyes.  I went home, looked her up on the website and emailed to reserve her.  They responded immediately and a few days later we brought Nika home.  Nika has been re-christened Jellybean (despite my subtle hints that a Lithuanian name might  be more special).  Jellybean is a beautiful, sweet, wonderful little girl cat whom we all love sooo much.

Nika was offered to us neutered and vaccinated at no charge.   I made a 100 lita donation and plan to offer more, in kind, throughout the year.



This morning at our IWAV Coffee Morning, Shailja, one of our members, kindly referred me to a sort of charity clearinghouse website -- the first of its kind in Lithuania, in English.  Aukok has all the information anyone needs to give to these shelters (addresses and lists of items needed).  I'm very excited about this website as it shows exactly what each charity organization (not just animals) needs.

I have had contact with both SOS Gyvunai and Lese and each has one or two (or more) volunteers speaking English or Russian, as well as Lithuanian, of course.  All are young and very kind.  I even got the most kind-hearted email from a volunteer whose sister had cared for Jellybean in her home when she was found, injured, and there was no place for her in the shelter;  she was quite concerned for little Nika's well-being and adjustment in her new home.

Happy Giving Season!
Sydney
IWAV Charity Coordinator

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Sydney, the kitty looks cute!
    Impressed with the work Gyvunai doing for the animals! Great effort to find new owners for them. Their blog has lots and lots of photos and I think this is very helpful for anybody who is thinking about adopting an animal...
    Only the link to Aukok doesn't seem to work - I am getting an error page...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post links to these on the lithuanian forum tonight to help spread the word...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fixed the link.

    ReplyDelete